Friday, September 12, 2008

 
Wild Indigo Duskywing - Erynnis baptisiae - these skippers are quite abundant, especially this year. This is about the best shot I have had of one so far and one of the few on which you can confirm the identification by the small reddish-brown spot on each forewing - start at the leading edge and follow the line of four adjacent white spots and the single white spot and you will find the small reddish-brown one that distinguishes this species from some other duskywing skippers which might also be found at the same times and places. I spent one hour in the hay field outside my door and found more than a half dozen species of butterflies and skippers I could identify plus a couple of skippers and three sorts of day-flying moths that I have not sorted out yet.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home